Friday, June 20, 2008

Week 3 - HHI and The Grace Center 2008


Well, it's been a week of highs and lows for Cam working at The Grace Center. We started off slow, picked up a little and then ended the week on an off day. I'm not sure what's going on, but I hope next week is much better! He is getting so strong though. I put him in his bed one night he began lifting his head up off the bed, almost like he was doing crunches! Mom and I were so amazed at his strength! I know I've said this before, but I so wish he could do this year round! Keep up the prayers!! Dawn and I are more determined than ever to get The Therapy Place going.

Monday was just a sleepy day for Cam. He has been doing so well at pottying, but he wouldn't do it on Monday. Erika began introducing counting and read a great story about 10 Hungry Monsters that I had never heard before. I'm not sure if counting just was not interesting to him, but he would just turn off during the academics.

The middle of the week was a little better, but academics continued to be an issue. Cam did continue to potty well through the rest of the week and walking in the gait trainer down the hallway to leave at the end of the day went fairly well. Friday, as I said, was very off. The Grace Center had some visitors come through to view the class and Hannah was very distracted and cried (something I've never seen her do during a class!). I think she just wanted her Grandmother to save her! This caused Cam to loose it some. He loves to play Mr. Sympathy! On a positive note, he is really enjoying being on his stomach even more than last year. This is huge for him! Oh!! I almost forgot! Friday, he ate almost a half a jar of bananas. This is also huge for him! This eating has become more than just tasting for him, he is actually taking it in and swallowing it! He usually becomes kind of congested (aka junky) sounding while eating, so I really have to watch him to be sure he doesn't aspirate the food. Well, on Friday, he really didn't get "junky" sounding at all! Another answer to prayer!

Erika came up with very creative ways to try to get them to understand counting. One day, she put Play-Doh under the scarves for them. When they pulled off the scarves to reveal the Play-Doh, we were all excited! Erika explained that she wanted us to make 3 balls and help them to count the Play-Doh balls. Well, me and the other Moms thoght forming Play-Doh numbers would be much more interesting (not to mention fun for us!), so we made 1,2 and 3 out of the Play-Doh. We were all comparing our dough forming skills and complimenting each other when Erika very kindly pointed out that she wanted balls, not numbers! The purpose was to get them to count objects. She would also use them to divide into groups, "you have 2 balls on your right and 2 on your left, how many do you have total?" Very creative, huh! Sometimes I have to remember that it's not about me and my fun!

Thanks to donations from kind friends, we were able to purchase a gait trainer for Cam like the one he has been using at The Grace Center. I was worried that he would not be happy about having one at home, but I was wrong! I put him in it to see what adjustments would need to be made, then I took him out to fix it. He was mad at me! When I finally put him back in and moved him to the hardwood floor where he could really go, he laughed at took off! I could just imagine what kind of new world he was starting to enjoy! He immediately started trying to take out the furniture in the rental house! I have to stay right behind him. He must have stayed in it for about an hour before he complained. It was nice to see him act so content in a therapy item. He is usually very resistent to new things.

Well, check in again next week. I'll also be adding some pictures from this week over the next couple of days. Thank you all for checking in on Cam's progress! Oh, Chad and Conner are doing well too! Chad is swimming like a fish in the pool and Conner is swimming like a fish wearing a life vest or swimmies! Cole and Smurf came to visit this weekend so Chad and Conner are having a blast. They have gotten to see a couple of movies and go play putt-putt this week. They really are troopers through all of this. We don't really get out much and have yet to see the beach (yes, I'm a little ashamed!) but we have the pool which is the whole reason I got this house. We will go to the beach soon. This house has been wonderful though. Mom and I want to move here. Oh, to dream!

I'm adding some pics of us at the Crazy Crab with Clark's brother, Richard, his wife, Lorraine (aka Smurf!) and their son Cole. We had a great weekend together.





No comments: